No, this isn’t one of those cool insider industry mock auctions. I don’t roll up a pack of cigarettes in my sleeve so no one invites me to those things. These are the results of a regular old Yahoo! mock auction. This time no one spent $200 on their favorite player, so I thought I could get away with posting my team. However, 6 ppl eventually left the draft and the computer controlled teams went SP crazy. They were easy to manipulate into bidding on bad players and spending their money early. This would not happen in a competitive league.
1. Álex Rodríguez (NYY – 3B) $40
2. Ryan Howard (Phi – 1B) $36
3. Miguel Cabrera (Det – 1B) $37
4. Carl Crawford (TB – OF) $30
5. Mark Reynolds (Ari – 1B,3B) $18
6. Jon Lester (Bos – SP) $22
7. Gavin Floyd (CWS – SP) $12
8. Brett Anderson (Oak – SP) $12
9. Carlos González (Col – OF) $9
10. Jay Bruce (Cin – OF) $8
11. Alexei Ramírez (CWS – SS) $8
12. Clint Barmes (Col – 2B,SS) $3
13. Carlos Zambrano (ChC – SP) $3
14. Mike Napoli (LAA – C) $2
15. Vladimir Guerrero (Tex – Util) $2
16. Brandon Webb (Ari – SP) $3
17. Chris Young (Ari – OF) $3
18. Ryan Franklin (StL – RP) $1
19. Leo Núñez (Fla – RP) $2
20. David Aardsma (Sea – RP) $2
21. Trevor Hoffman (Mil – RP) $1
22. Francisco Liriano (Min – SP,RP) $1
23. Frank Francisco (Tex – RP) $2
I want to point out that I did not bid on Chris Young. I lost connection and he was an unpleasant surprise when I was able to reload the draft application. I would have saved the money for closers, which I wouldn’t have actually needed b/c (for some weird reason) I was able to get them at cheap prices in the end.
The Strategy: since this was a standard 12 team league, I wanted to buy some expensive players and fill out the rest of my positions with underrated players. I wouldn’t try this is a deeper league; I would go for balance. Basically the whole draft, I was nominating expensive players I wanted no part of: especially OF, SP and then 1B/3B after I purchased my 4 big boppers.
The Players: After spending big on Aroid, Miggy, Howard and Crawford, I was able to get my grubby hands on some of my favs: Lester, Anderson, Floyd, Bruce and Gonzo. Then pick up some cheaper options like Alexei Ramirez, Napoli, Webb and Zambo. I’m not too fond of Barmes (he is likely 1 cold streak away from being subbed by Eric Young), but I was looking to save money somewhere at that point in the draft. I’m not huge on Vladi or Ryan Franklin, but for $3 combined… what the hell, sign me up. Liriano for $1 could have been my best purchase, I’m a homer tho so that’s the way us Twins fans think.
Good draft, I likey. I’m not expecting this to ever happen in a good league tho. More auction tips at [Roto Arcade]